Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

The Last Time I Flew to Bangkok

I remember the last time I flew to Bangkok.  Late 1992.  Cynthia and I were just becoming an item.  Our first trip together, though our good and dear friend Callie was along for the ride.  A couple of memories that mark the passage of time.  The food on the flight was fantastic.  Had a menu and the whole bit.  I had a fish dinner accompanied by a complimentary glass of wine.  That was tempered by the smoke that wafted up from the smoking section of the plane.  Upon arriving in Bangkok I was astounded at the traffic, and the pollution.  Almost 2 hours to get the relatively short distance to the city from the airport.   For two or three days we had to fight to adjust to the time change.  Basically exactly the opposite of the States.  9 o'clock was really pushing it.  (reminds me of my current life in Santa Cruz!)

So here we are ready to depart.  I am excited, but in a muted sort of way.  I am not sure if that comes under the "kicks just keep getting harder to find" category, or because I am a firm believer in "Be Here Now".  The next entry will find me in a total and complete different state.  Physically and mentally I am sure.  Though I live in a country foreign to the one I have lived in most of my life, I am ready for that jolt that comes with travel.  Especially, for me, Third World Travel.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more! Love your blog background, too, this beautiful world map... what could be better? Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have said goodbye before you left, but this is good to be able to say "hello!"

    ReplyDelete